The sun is shining and I woke up happy that one more day stands between us and March! Say it with me: spring in just three weeks!!!
Clearly, this calls for celebration, which for me is synonymous with chocolate.
Black Bean Brownies have been on my baking to-do list for years now. At first, I thought they sounded a bit off-putting. But I’m willing to try just about anything once. Also, I like the idea of healthier baking.
These are meant to have a nice kick of fiber to them. And I tried to lighten up the recipe by replacing the 1/2 cup of oil with mashed banana. There’s a hint of banana in the background, but to me, that isn’t a bad thing. I’ve spiced them up a little with cinnamon and cayenne. This recipe is great if you’re having a cake craving but you’re running low on flour, as it only calls for 1/3 of a cup.
All in all, a lovely moist brownie without even the slightest taste of black bean. This is my new go-to brownie recipe.
Hope this extra day is a productive one for you, and frankly, full of cake.
Stay tuned for Mom’s birthday cake later this week.
Thanks for visiting,
Black Bean Brownies
1/2 c chocolate chips, divided
3/4 c cooked black beans
1/2 c mashed banana
1 Tbsp canola oil
1 tsp vanilla
1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 c sugar
1/3 c flour
1/2 baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/8 tsp cayenne
Icing sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease square baking pan and set aside.
- Melt half of the chocolate chips using a double boiler. Reverse the other half.
- In a blender, puree black beans and banana. Add oil, vanilla and egg. Scrape into a medium-sized mixing bowl. To the mixing bowl, add cocoa and sugar. Stir until just moistened. Fold in melted chocolate.
- In a small bowl, combine flour, baking powder and spices. Fold dry ingredients to wet. Add remaining chocolate chips.
- Spread evenly into greased pan. Brownie batter is very thick, so you’ll have to spread the batter across the pan and into the corners.
- Bake for 20 minutes. Let cook for 15 minutes in the pan.
- Slice, dust with icing sugar and enjoy!