Wondering what to do with all of those mini chocolate bars you’ve got hanging around the house, either pre- or post- Halloween? Why not use them in your next baking adventure?
The inspiration for this recipe are those tasty mini Coffee Crisp chocolate bars that come in the assorted bag along with Kit Kats, Aeros and Smarties. I bought a bag the other day and tucked into them way before any Halloween-ers ever had the chance to enjoy them.
I added espresso to the chocolate batter to enhance the coffee flavour in the bars. I chopped the bars into little pieces and used them as a garnish on top of the chocolate icing. All you chocoholics and coffee addicts out there are going to love this recipe! I think these would be great for a Halloween themed party or even as a little pick me up before trick or treating. I’ll be taking mine over to my sister’s place for our annual Halloween party. (Pizza + Cupcakes + Trick or Treating with my Nephew = The Perfect Halloween!)
These coffee infused cupcakes will also help to fuel my latest writing project and the start of National Novel Writing Month (i.e. NaNoWriMo) which begins November 1st and runs until the end of the month. (That’s right, I’m not a baker who writes, I’m a writer who bakes. ;) ) For those of you interested in finding out more about NaNoWriMo check out: http://nanowrimo.org. It’s a great resource for anyone thinking of taking on the challenge.
Wishing you a sweet satisfaction and a spooky Halloween,
Coffee Crisp Cupcakes
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup brown sugar
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup espresso, room temperature
Mini Coffee Crisp chocolate bars (minimum of 6 but really as many as you’d like), chopped
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan and set aside. Chop chocolate bars and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, combine oil and sugar. Add milk, vinegar, vanilla and room temp espresso.
4. Fold the dry ingredients into the wet, careful not to over mix.
5. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes until the tops of the cupcakes spring to the touch or come out clean with a cake tester. Allow to cool completely before decorating.
1 cup butter, cubed, room temperature
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa, sifted
5 cups icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
3-4 Tbsp milk
1. Whip cubed butter butter a couple of minutes on high using either a stand or electric mixer. The colour of the butter will change to a paler yellow.
2. Add sifted cocoa and beat at a low speed. Remember to scrape down the sides of the bowl often. Add the a table spoon of milk and then 1/2 cup of icing sugar at a time, alternating. Add the vanilla.
3. Whip the entire mixture for a couple of minutes until it is light and fluffy. Fill piping bag and swirl into cooled cupcakes.
4. For the finishing touch, top the cupcakes with the pieces of Coffee Crisp. Feel free to pile on as much or as little as you like. Enjoy!
Any kiddo would be lucky to get one of these Halloween treats!! Happy Halloween!
Thanks so much! They were a hit at the Halloween party we went to. I hope you had a Happy Halloween too!