I started my latest baking adventure by having a good rummage in the fridge. With Fall in the air, I’ve been making a lot of squash and carrot soups lately. And so, throughout the course of my rummaging, I discovered a surplus of lonely-looking carrots hanging out in the bottom of my crisper. I just knew I could put a least a couple of them to good use.
Lo and behold, my latest offering: Carrot-Lemon Muffins!
In keeping with my healthy baking kick, I’ve made these cupcakes with mostly whole wheat flour, and their vegan to boot!
These muffins are perfect for a quick grab-and-go breakfast or three o’clock snack. I plan to enjoy mine later tonight with a hot cup of tea while watching the latest episode of Coronation Street. (We all have our guilty pleasures.)
Wishing you sweet satisfaction,
1 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup canola oil
2/3 cup brown sugar
2 Tbsp white sugar
1/3 cup water
1 Tbsp white vinegar
Juice of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 lemon
1 cup carrot, grated
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line muffin pan and set aside.
2. Wash, peel and grate 1 cup of carrots. I used one large carrot, but if you are using smaller carrots you might require a couple. Set aside.
3. Zest and juice one lemon. Set aside.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Set aside.
5. Using a stand mixer, combine oil and sugars. Add water, vinegar and lemon juice. Add grated carrot and lemon zest.
6. With the stand mixer set at a low speed, add 1/3 of the dry ingredients to the wet at a time. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a spatula. Mix only until just combined.
7. Fill the muffin liners 3/4 of the way. Bake for 22 to 25 minutes. Allow to cool for 10 minutes in the baking tray, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely. Enjoy!! (Note: I bet this would also make a lovely loaf. In that case, bake for 1 hour.)