I made these cupcakes for my little nephew, Kiran, who recently turned five. My little guy loves chocolate, so I baked up a batch of classic chocolate cupcakes topped with ganache. Ganache may sound fancy and intimidating, but in all honesty, it’s easier to whip up than traditional icings. I decorated the cupcakes with some reserved chocolate chips, star-shaped sprinkles and piped some big number 5s on top, in every kindergartner’s favorite – primary colours!
Extra tidbit: If you’re planning a birthday party or some other kind of celebration, make a double batch of ganache and serve as the perfect ice cream topping.
Wishing you sweet satisfaction,
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1/2 cup white sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
2 large eggs
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 cup milk
1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips (optional)
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake pan and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, sift together flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
3. in A large bowl, combine oil and sugar. Beat in one egg at a time. Add vanilla and milk.
4. Fold dry ingredients into wet ingredients, careful not to over mix. Fold in Chocolate chips.
5. Divide batter into cupcake pan, filling each about 3/4 of the way full. Bake for 22 to 22 minutes. Let cool completely before decorating.
I cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
1/2 cup heavy cream
1. Bring a large pot of water to boil.
2. Place large glass bowl on top of boiling water. Make sure the bottom of the bowl doesn’t touch the water.
3. Add chocolate chips to the glass bowl. Then add cream. With a spatula, stir the two together until the chocolate melts completely. This may take a couple of minutes.
4. Once the ganache is smooth and glossy remove from heat.
5. Dip and twist method for incing cupcakes: dip cupcake tops into the ganache and twist the excess to prevent any drips. It’s as easy as it sounds! Enjoy!
A great and easy to follow recipe. Thanks! The ganache is the best part. Make loads, store in the fridge and after a hard days work, glass o’milk and spoon of ganache makes is all better :)