Whenever I saunter over to the fair trade coffee shop down the road, I usually buy a slice of lemon poppy seed loaf along with my latte. Hence, my inspiration starting point for this recipe. I like to think of them as lemon poppy seed cupcakes ‘with a twist’. The twist comes from the lime zest I incorporated into the rich and smooth cream cheese icing. Whatever the name, these cupcakes are light and fresh and taste like summer.
Extra tidbit: Why not whip up a pitcher of lemonade with any leftover lemons that you may have in your crisper? A tall, refreshing glass of lemonade would be the perfect accompaniment for these little beauties.
Wishing you sweet satisfaction,
Lemon Poppy Seed Cupcakes:
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 lemons, zested
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup canola oil
1 cup white sugar
1/3 cup milk
Juice from 2 lemons
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 Tbsp poppy seeds
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line cupcake tray and set aside.
2. In a medium bowl, combine dry ingredients (i.e. first five in the list) and set aside.
3. In a larger bowl, combine oil and sugar. Whisk in one egg at a time. Next, add milk, lemon juice and vanilla.
4. Add dry ingredients to the wet, making sure to scrape down sides of the bowl and not over-mix. Add poppy seeds.
5. Scoop batter into lined tray, about 3/4 full. Bake for 20 to 22 minutes until the center of cupcakes spring to the touch.
6. Allow to cool completely before icing.
Cream Cheese Icing with a Twist:
1 package of cream cheese icing (can use light if you like)
Zest of 1 lime
1 tsp lime juice
1 Tbsp milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
3 cups sifted icing sugar
1. Whip cream cheese until fluffy, about 2 minutes. Add vanilla, lime juice and zest.
2. Gradually add icing sugar, 1/2 cup at a time. Alternate with drops of milk. Keep scraping down the sides of the bowl. Beat until icing is smooth and creamy. The icing will be quite loose compared to buttercream icing.
3. Using a spatula, spread the icing over cooled cupcakes.
4. Sprinkle with poppy seeds and enjoy!