Today I baked a cake for the woman who made me, the one I like to call Life of the Party, because well, she just is, especially in our fam.
Happy birthday, Mom!
My mom isn’t a big fan of chocolate, but she loves white cakes, so I thought lemon would be a nice choice. The kitchen smelled amazing as I zested the lemons! I added some sprinkles to the batter to make it festive. And I must say, this white chocolate cream cheese icing is the best I’ve had in a long time. So light and fluffy!
Looking forward to slicing into this tomorrow with the woman of the hour. If I remember, I’ll try to take a pic of the inside, so you can see the layers. I might be in a bit of a cake coma, though, so no promises. ;-)
Hope your week is winding down nice and easy.
Thanks for visiting,
Lemon Cake with White Chocolate Icing
3 organic lemons, zested
2 c all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 c canola oil
3/4 c granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
1 c milk
birthday cake sprinkles
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease 2 9-inch circular baking pans and set aside.
- In a small bowl, zest the lemons.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add lemon zest.
- In a medium bowl, whisk oil and sugar. Beat in eggs. Add vanilla. Add milk.
- Gently whisk dry to wet ingredients, careful not to over-mix. Add birthday cake sprinkles to the batter, as much as you like.
- Separate batter evenly into cake pans. Bake for 25-30 minutes. Let cool completely.
White Chocolate Cream Cheese Icing
3/4 c white chocolate chips
2 packages of cream cheese, light is fine
3/4 c unsalted butter, room temperature
3 c icing sugar
1 tsp vanilla
- Place chocolate in a microwavable bowl and microwave on medium setting until almost melted, about 1 minute. Stir until smooth and set aside to cool.
- Using an electric mixer, beat butter and cream cheese until creamy. Add icing sugar. Add cooled chocolate and vanilla. Refrigerate icing to firm it up a little, about 15-30 minutes.
Assembling the cake:
- You can make this into a 2-layer or 4-layer cake. For a 4-layer cake, slice cooled cakes evenly using a bread knife.
- Place one layer of cake on a cake plate. Spread with icing. Top with another layer of cake, and repeat icing, and so on. Spread icing on the sides.
- Place remaining icing in a piping bag and decorate the top with “flowers.” (Note: I had a full piping bag of leftover icing, and it’s too good to waste, so I popped it into the freezer for later use.)
- Cake stores well in fridge for up to three days.
I hope she has a wonderful birthday! What a unique flavor combination for a cake! It looks delicious :-)
Thanks very much! Hopefully the taste lives up to the decorations, ha ha. We’ll find out soon. Great to see you here! :-)
WOW! That is a lovely birthday cake! Your Mum is going to be so pleased :-)
Thanks so much, Claire! Coming from a fellow baker that’s a great compliment. I hope you’re right about her liking it! :-)
Happy birthday to your mum – what an amazing cake!!!
Thanks you so much, Gulara! That’s awfully sweet of you! :-)
Oh my goodness – I am so very excited to taste that beautiful looking cake! XO
Thanks, Neen! Let’s hope it tastes OK! See you soon! XO
Anita, your cake sounds delicious (and looks divine !) Happy Birthday to your mom, I hope she has a great day. I know she is going to love her cake :-) x
Thanks so much, Lynne! I hope it tastes good, we’ll find out soon. ;-) Thanks for the birthday wishes for my mom too. It’s always fun to celebrate her. I hope you’re having a lovely weekend so far! :-) xo
:-) Absolutely, thank you and enjoy yours too. :-) xxx
What a lovely cake for your Mum, I hope you enjoy sharing it today xx
Thanks so much, Elaine! It was fun to bake her a surprise. We’ll see how it tastes in a couple of hours, ha ha. :-) xo
I’m sure it will be good xx
Looks like a luscious frosting, and what an honor to bake for your mother’s birthday!
Thanks so much! It was just the excuse I needed to play hooky yesterday, ha ha. ;-) I hope she likes it!
Wow a gorgeous cake and happy bday to mom!
Thank you, Lynn! I’m happy to report that the cake was a hit, especially with the birthday girl. ;-)
I am so glad, it looked lovely!!
Belated Birthday Greetings to your mum. I am pretty sure she liked the cake. I adore white chocolate. I bet I would have licked off all the cream cheese from the cake before delving inside. Have a great weekend.
Oh thanks so much, that’s so sweet of you. She liked it, woohoo! ;-) I pretty much did the same thing with the icing as you described, ha ha. Happy weekend to you too!
Best wishes to your mom…the cake looks so delicious….
Thanks so much, that’s very kind of you! She liked it and I guess that’s all that matters, ha ha. Thanks for visiting :-)
These look absolutely delicious!
Thanks so much! :-)
Delicious cake!! I love lemon cake. Happy weekend. :)